Saturday, February 27, 2010

classic french toast

Mmm... although I don't really recall having tried it before the Jamaican cruise I went on last summer, there's little that beats the creamy deliciousness of french toast.  The Carnival version I tried used a cinnamon-raisin baguette (and oh my goodness was it heavenly!), but I've been known to make this kind on regular grocery-store wheat bread. 


Delightfully Light French Toast
1/4 cup skim milk
1 egg white
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
2 slices bread

Set bread out the night before to oxidize and dry out. 
In the morning, whisk milk, egg white, vanilla, and spice.  Soak bread slices in mixture.  Lightly grease a nonstick pan.  Plop french toast and cook to a golden color.  Flip.  Enjoy!

(image courtesy of projo)

Feel free to serve with a sprinkling of confectioner's sugar, raspberry or peach compote, or maple syrup.  The best variation I ever had of it was when I used fresh-baked Amish wheat berry bread from the Farmer's Market.  Use whatever bread's available... a homemade baguette, sprouted wheat, etc.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Cranberry-walnut bread from Kirchoff Bakery in Paducah!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, good suggestion! i've been missing kirchoff lately. and the little seafood place that has amazing chicken (seafood? they serve it on lettuce.., ring a bell?) salad.

    ReplyDelete